Riverside California Record Expungement

  • Yesterday
  • 184

Riverside County Record Expungement Video -Learn how to expunge your record in Riverside County and put your past behind you

If you were convicted of a misdemeanor or felony in Riverside County, you may be eligible to have your offense expunged from your criminal record. Successfully expunging your Riverside County criminal record will overturn your conviction, changing your plea to not guilty and changing the finding to dismissed, as opposed to guilty. By expunging your Riverside County criminal record, you can legally say that you were not convicted of the offense, making it easier to pass criminal background checks for employment and housing.

Beginning the Riverside County Expungement Process

You will file your petition for expungement with the same court that oversaw your original conviction hearing. The courthouse will have the records of your case and as such the court clerk will be able to provide information regarding your case such as the name of the arresting agency, the date of your arrest and final disposition, and your case number. It is important to note that the court clerk cannot assist you with your case or petition, nor can they provide legal advice.

Eligibility for Expungement in Riverside County

To be eligible for an expungement in Riverside County, you must have completed the following:

  • * You cannot have any criminal charges pending against you.
  • * You must have paid all fines and restitution owed to the court.
  • * Your conviction cannot have resulted in going to state prison.
  • * You must have completed all terms of your sentence such as completed required community service, attended all court ordered programs, and completed probation - if applicable.

The easiest way to determine if you are eligible for any California record clearing services is to take the free eligibility test offered by recordgone.com.

If you have not completed probation, but have completed all other court ordered requirements, you may be eligible for probation termination, which may make you eligible for an expungement. Your chances of having your probation terminated are greatly increased if you have completed at least half of your probationary term. By terminating your probation, you may have a higher success in finding employment, housing, or completing your education. If you were convicted of a felony and served a prison sentence, you may be eligible to have your felony reduced to a misdemeanor - potentially making your offense eligible for expungement. You may be able to apply for the felony reduction and expungement at the same time. If your felony offense is not eligible for reduction, you may be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation, which will appear next to your offense demonstrating the progress that you have made since your conviction as a person and as a responsible member of society.

Which Offenses are Ineligible for Expungement?

Generally, sex crimes are ineligible for expungement, particularly sex crimes involving minors. The full text of these laws can be found here. The following crimes CANNOT be expunged:

  • PC 286 (c):
  • PC 288 (b) or (c):
  • PC 288 (a) c:
  • PC 288.5:
  • PC 289 (j):

If you were convicted of any of the following offenses, you may be eligible for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. If it has been 10 years from your release from jail or being placed on probation, and you have lived in California for the last 5 years, you may be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Rehabilitation. The Certificate of Rehabilitation does not remove your offense from your criminal record, but does appear next to your conviction indicating the progress that you have made since the conviction. A Certificate of Rehabilitation may increase your chances of being issued a professional or occupational license, and may also relieve you of the obligation to register as a sex offender.

Preparing Your Case

While preparing for you case, you should be prepared to offer as much information about your original case as possible such as the arresting agency, and the date of arrest and disposition in addition to preparing supporting documents for your case.

While none of these are required, incorporating the following items may increase your chances of success:
  • * Letters of recommendation from anyone who can speak to the progress you have made since your conviction (e.g. family, friends, employers, professors, and community leaders)
  • * A personal statement addressing the progress you have made since being convicted of the misdemeanor
  • * Evidence of progress you have made since your conviction (e.g. completed community service, college transcripts, letters of job offers)
You can call the court clerk and ask for information regarding your case, or you can speak with an attorney who can research and access your case.
The main mailing address of the Riverside County Courthouse is:
Riverside County Superior Court
P.O. Box 1547
Riverside, CA 92502

What Happens After the Expungement is Granted?

Once the expungement is granted, the court will change their records to reflect the granted expungement. Your criminal record will show no finding of guilt and will change the finding of the verdict to dismissed. The court will contact the Depart of Justice (DOJ) to instruct them to update their records of your case to reflect the granted expungement. All other agencies - such as agencies that conduct criminal background checks - get their information for the Department of Justice and as such will also show that you have not been convicted of the offense for which you were charged.

When Do You Have To Disclose Your Criminal Record?

Once you successfully expunge your Riverside County criminal record, you can legally deny the occurrence of the conviction. You will only be obligated to disclose your conviction in the following three narrow circumstances:

1. Applying for Government State License such as a real estate license.
2. Applying for Public Office such as City Counsel or the Mayor's office..
3. Contracting with the California State Lottery Commission.

Expunge your record